Sunday, May 9, 2010

Jillian’s Baby Steps Towards Organics

It's been almost a decade now that I have been concerned with what I put in my body. I have been making a conscious effort to purchase organic food and eat healthy. However, most of that time I was oblivious to what I put on my body. The skin is the body's largest organ so how did I not realize that what goes on is as important as what goes in?

I finally made the connection three years ago when my then three month old son developed eczema. I was aware that cortisone cream thins the skin and I knew I did not want to slather his beautifully pure skin with it so I began to look for options. I searched and found natural creams, which work wonderfully!   I was so thrilled with these natural products that I decided to "purify" my family's environment.  I started with educating  myself on toxic chemicals used in common beauty and household items (Gorgeously Green and Ecoholic are great books for this).  I was shocked to find out that there are a plethora of harmful ingredients in our everyday products and household items that are known carcinogens, neurotoxins, hormone disruptors, cancer causers and birth defect contributors.  I now carry a cheat sheet in my purse listing all of the extremely dangerous and potentially dangerous ingredients and I thoroughly read the ingredient labels.  Yes, it's a little time consuming doing this but the health of my family is worth it.

My search to purify my family's environment eventually lead me to organic cotton. I was horrified to learn about all of the toxins used in the production of conventional cotton and the damage it inflicts on cotton workers, our planet and our bodies.   I know that I do not want my kids dressed or sleeping in fabric that has been drenched in pesticides, toxic chemicals (used in the production process) or PVC plastic decorations.  Also, being a mother has created a desire for me to take care of the planet so that I set a good example for my children and provide them with a safe place to grow up in.  Yet, I find it difficult to find organic cotton clothing and bedding.  It's even more difficult to find organic cotton clothing or bedding that is trendy (I don't like drab beige!).  Major companies such as Gap and Nike are introducing organic cotton items into their lines, however, it only represents 1% to 3% of their products.  It's a great start but it still does not leave me with a lot of choices.

In Gorgeously Green, Adria Vasil writes that "childhood cancers are up 21%, asthma rates are four times higher than they were in the '80's, and birth defects are on the rise".  Are you ready to take your own baby steps towards organic?  This Mothers Day start with your baby.  Pick one item you use on him or her.  It can be a small item such as their body wash or diaper cream or it can be larger such as their crib bedding.  A baby's skin is five times thinner than an adult's and their skin is more porous and vulnerable to harsh chemicals so making a change on your baby has a greater impact than it would on you.

I would like to hear your feedback.  Please post comments on your product tips or your own stories.  Happy Mothers Day!

~Jillian

No comments:

Post a Comment